Here I have referred to a particular Sulzer RTA Engine. You should consult your manual also as surveyor mostly asks about the engine on your ship.
Precautions and procedures before removing liner:
- Remove jacket water connection.
- Drain the jacket water of the concerned unit from exhaust v/v and liner.
- Keep other units in Jacket preheating system to maintain the jacket temperature
- Once the engine jacket temperature comes down, shut the inlet water valve for the unit to be overhauled
- Close the shut-off valves on the starting air receivers.
- Prepare risk assessment and make sure all personal safety equipment are used
- Prepare important tools and spares required for overhauling liner as given in the manual
- Read the manual and have a tool box meeting with everyone involved in the job. Discuss the complete procedure.
- Inform company and take permission.
- Take immobilisation certificate from port state control.
- Close all the shut-off valves in the control air supply unit and spring air and open the drain cocks in the two air receivers.
- Close by hand the automatic starting air shut-off valve and open the vent and drain valve to the main starting air piping on the engine as well as the vent valves on the automatic starting air shut-off valve, and leave them in this position until maintenance work is completed.
- Open all indicator cocks on the cylinder covers and leave them in this position until maintenance work is completed.
- Engage turning gear (gear pinion must be in engaged position) and lock the lever
- Stop main lube oil pump and switch off the breaker.
- Shut the fuel oil to the particular unit whose liner is to be removed.
- Dismount the cylinder head using dedicated lifting tools.
- Remove the sealing ring from the top of the cylinder liner.
- Turn the piston down far enough to make it possible to grind away the wear ridges at the top of the liner with a hand grinder.
- Remove the piston together with piston gland.
Liner removal procedure of Main Engine (Sulzer RTA)
- Separate all piping connections for cylinder oil from the lubricating quills. All the passages for lubricating quills as well as their protecting bushes must be removed whenever a cylinder liner is being pulled out.
- The two screws fastening supporting ring with cylinder liner must be loosened and removed
- Mount suspension bridge beam with suspension straps loosely fitted.
Fig.: Liner removal tool for Sulzer