Specific safety concerns related to this type of ship
- Loading of cargo must be done carefully,
- ensure cargo cannot shift during a voyage leading to stability problems,
- large hatch covers must be watertight and secure.
The International Maritime Solid Bulk Cargoes Code (IMSBC Code), & amendments to SOLAS chapter VI to make the Code mandatory, were adopted by the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC), 85th session, in 2008
- The amendments expected to enter into force on 1 January 2011.
- The IMSBC Code replaces the Code of Safe Practice for Solid Bulk Cargoes (BC Code), which was first adopted as a recommendatory code in 1965 and has been updated at regular intervals since then.