Course recorder is navigational equipment for automatically recording the course of the vessel over a period of time. The record is done on the continuous paper belt. The recorder is operated from a gyrocompass or a remote magnetic compass.
Features of the course recorder are as follows.
- No lubrication is required on account of a simple mechanism.
- Every watch the officer is to check whether the correct course is being recorded & pens are full of ink.
- The course recorder clock is always to be set to GMT.
- To be switched off in port.
- Date, time & place are important. Start-up should be noted.
- Should not run out of paper.