Every ship shall be provided with appliances capable of injecting rapidly and simultaneously at least two jests of water not emanating from the same hydrant at least one of which shall be from a single length of hose reaching any part of banker of machinery spaces normally accessible to crew when all water-tight doors in the main vertical zone bulk heads are closed.
Machinery Spaces of Category-A:
Every ship with machinery space of category-A.
(1) Shall be provided in such spaces:-
- at least two fire hydrants, one on the port side and the other on the starboard side for each such hydrants, one fire hose complete with a nozzle and one spare fire hose complete with nozzle ;
- at least one of the following fixed fire extinguishing installations, namely:-
- a fixed pressure water spraying system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS,
- a fixed gas fire extinguishing system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS,
- a fixed high expansion foam system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS.
For the purpose of this rule, if the engine and boiler rooms are not entirely separagraphted from each other by a bulkhead and if fuel oil can draw from the boiler room into the engine room, the combined engine and boiler rooms shall be considered as one single machinery space.
In addition to the requirements of above section there shall be provided :-
(a) In each boiled room-
- not less than one foam type fire extinguisher of at least 135 litres capacity or CO2 fire extinguisher of at least 45 Killogram capacity, as may be necessary having regard to the size of the boiler room placed in such positions so as to be readily accessible in the event of fire and shall be provided with hoses on reels suitable for reaching any part of the boiler room and spaces containing any part of the oil fuel installation;
- one portable foam applicator complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS
(b) in each firing space in each boiler room and in each space containing any part of any oil fuel installation, at least two portable fire extinguishers suitable for extinguishing oil fires;
(c) in each firing space a receptacle containing at least 0.3 cubic metre of sand, saw dust impregnated with soda or other dry material suitable for quenching oil fire in sufficient quantity together with scoops for its distribution or in the alternative additional portable fire extinguisher suitable for extinguishing oil fires.
(3) In addition to the requirements of above paragraphgraph there shall be provided in any space containing internal combustion type machinery:-