Fixed fire extinguishing systems in cargo spaces.
(1) Every ship of 1000 tons and above and every ship engaged in the carriage of dangerous goods, shall be provided in every cargo space other than special category spaces and spaces where a fixed pressure Water Spraying System is fitted as mentioned in sub section 2 and fixed gas fire extinguishing system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS IV. Provided that the Director General of Shipping may exempt any ship (other than a ship engaged in the carriage of dangerous goods) from the requirements of this sub-rule, if he is satisfied that to require compliance therewith would be unreasonable on account of the short duration of the voyages on which the ship is engaged.
(2) Every ship shall be provided:
- In each special category space a fixed pressure water spraying system complying with the requirements specified or any other fixed fire extinguishing system, which the Chief Surveyor with the Government of India, being satisfied after full scale test in conditions simulating a flowing petrol fire in a special category space to be not less effective in controlling fires likely to occur in such a space.
- In each cargo space (other than special category space) intended for the carriage of motor vehicles with fuel in their tanks for their own propulsion a fixed pressure water spraying system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS or a fixed gas fire extinguishing system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS.
- In each open Ro/ro cargo space having a deck over and each closed Ro/ro cargo space not capable of being sealed, a fixed pressure water spraying system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS.
You may also know about machinery space fire fighting system :
Every ship shall be provided with appliances capable of injecting rapidly and simultaneously at least two jests of water not emanating from the same hydrant at least one of which shall be from a single length of hose reaching any part of banker of machinery spaces normally accessible to crew when all water-tight doors in the main vertical zone bulk heads are closed.
Machinery Spaces of Category-A:
Every ship with machinery space of category-A.
(1) Shall be provided in such spaces:-