Annual Testing and Inspections
As part of the annual statutory survey for Safety Equipment Certification, the following inspections and tests should be carried out to ensure that:
- all fire extinguishers are checked for proper location, charging pressure, and condition;
- fire detection systems are tested for proper operation, as appropriate;
- all fire doors and dampers are tested for remote operation;
- all foam-water and water-spray fixed fire-fighting systems are tested for operation;
- all accessible components of fixed fire-fighting systems are visually inspected for proper condition;
- all fire pumps, including sprinkler system pumps, are flow tested for proper pressures and flows;
- all hydrants are tested for operation;
- all antifreeze systems are tested for proper solutions;
- sprinkler system connections from the ship’s fire main are tested for operation;
- all fire hoses are hydrostatically tested;
- breathing apparatus air recharging systems checked for air quality;
- control valves of fixed fire-fighting systems should be inspected; and
- air should be blown through the piping of extinguishing gas systems.
The verification of the examinations and tests are an integral part of the annual statutory surveys for the SOLAS Safety Equipment Certificate.