The general procedure to switch on a radar set:
- Visually make sure that the scanner is clear.
- Set the four critical adjustment controls – Gain, Brilliance, Anti clutter & Anti rain clutter (differentiator) – to off or minimum.
- Set the main function switch (Off/Standby/Transmit) to standby. The radar set will then begin to warm up, Certain parts will require time for warming up.
- Set range Selector switch to desired range scale.
- Set PL selector switch to desired position (short pulses for normal use), In some radar sets, the main function switch is marked Off/Standby/Short/Long pulse whereby the radar observer has to choose the PL, automatically every time we switch on the set. In such a case, omit this step as it is covered by step 9
- Ensure that EBL, ERBL, VRM & Range rings are all off, by turning down their respective brightness controls.
- Set the presentation mode switch (RM unstabilised/RM Stabilised/TM) to the RM stabilised mode.
- Adjust panel lights to the desired intensity.
- When the set has warmed up (about two to three minutes after switching to standby), set the main function switch to transmit.
In some sets, instead of transmit, the main function switch is marked short pulse/long pulse so that PL has to be selected at the same time as switching on from standby (set step 5) In such a case set main function switch to short pulse.