- If a solid cargo which is not listed in appendix 1 to IMSBC code is proposed for carriage in bulk, the shipper shall, prior to loading, provide the competent authority of the port of loading with the characteristics and properties of the cargo in accordance with section 4 of IMSBC Code. Based on the information received, the competent authority will assess the acceptability of the cargo for safe shipment.
- When it is assessed that the solid bulk cargo proposed for carriage may present hazards as those defined by group A or B of IMSBC code as defined in 1.7, advice is to be sought from the competent authorities of the port of unloading and of the flag State. The three competent authorities will set the preliminary suitable conditions for the carriage of this cargo.
- When it is assessed that the solid bulk cargo proposed for carriage presents no specific hazards for transportation, the carriage of this cargo shall be authorized. The competent authorities of the port of unloading and of the flag State shall be advised of that authorization.
- The competent authority of the port of loading shall provide to the master a certificate stating the characteristics of the cargo and the required conditions for carriage and handling of this shipment. The competent authority of the port of loading shall also submit an application to the Organization, within one year from the issue of the certificate, to incorporate this solid bulk cargo into appendix 1 of IMSBC code. The format of this application shall be as outlined in subsection 1.3.3.
Format for the properties of cargoes not listed in this Code and conditions of the carriage
- Tentative bulk cargo shipping name (in capital letters)
- DESCRIPTION (Describe the cargo)
- CHARACTERISTICS (Fill the following table
- HAZARD (Clarify the hazard of carriage of the cargo.) (Determine the following types of requirements. If no requirement is necessary, write “No special requirements”)
- STOWAGE & SEGREGATION
- HOLD CLEANLINESS
- WEATHER PRECAUTIONS
- (Specify the emergency procedures for the cargo, if necessary.)