Test procedures for flame screens and flame arresters located at openings to the atmosphere;-
(1) The test rig shall consist of an apparatus producing an explosive mixture, a small tank with a diaphragm, a flanged prototype of the device a plastic foil bag and an ignition source in three positions, other test rigs may be used, provided that the test are deemed to be equivalent by the Director General.
(2) A flash back test shall be carried out as follows;
(a)The tank and the plastic foil bag shall be filled with the most easily ignitable propane/air mixture.
- The plastic foils bag enveloping the prototype device. The dimensions of the plastic foil bag are dependent in those of the device but for the devices normally used on tankers the foil bag shall be a circumference of 2 meters and a length of 2.5 meters and a wall thickness of 0.05 millimetres.
- These ignition sources shall be installed in the bag, one close to the device, one as far away as possible therefrom, and the third at the midpoint between those two.
- These three sources shall be ignited in succession during the three tests.
(b)If a flash-back occurs the tank diaphragm will burst and this will be audible and visible to the operator by the emission of a flame . Flame, heat and pressure sensors may be installed as an alternative methods of detecting a flash back.
(3) An endurance burning test shall be carried our as follows, in addition to the flash back test for flame arresters at outlets where flows of explosive mixtures are foreseen :-