Steering system is a system which controls the operation of ships rudder through its components.
The rudder is controlled either
- Through human intervention
- Or through the use of Auto-Pilot.
Regardless whether it is human intervention or the auto-pilot, the aim is to ensure that the ship proceeds along a desired course at sea with minimum deviation.
A Block Diagram of a Generic Steering System
For Avoiding Steering Breakdown and Quick Action Remedial Action in case of a breakdown Following Procedures, Methods and Modes are adopted.
- Normal From bridge or bridge wings in either manual or auto method. ((Through the control unit).
- Emergency From the Steering Gear Compartment (Direct manipulation of steering motor)
METHODS OF STEERING
- Manual Primary mode is Follow up (using the wheel and secondary mode is the Non-Follow Up using a lever or a buttons.
- Automatic (Called Auto-Pilot) Uses only the follow up mode. No human intervention.
MODES OF STEERING
- Follow Up
- Non-Follow Up