No wire rope should be accepted on board unless it is accompanied by a certificate stating that it has been made to a recognized national or international standard and which gives details of its construction, safe working load and minimum breaking strain.
A wire rope should not be used if:
- It shows signs of corrosion;
- There is a tendency towards separation of the strands or wires;
- Excessive wear is indicated by flats appearing on the individual wires;
- There is excessive reduction in the measured diameter;
- The number of broken wires in any length of 10 diameters exceeds 5 per cent of the total number of wires in the rope;
- Its statutory life or service life as recommended by the manufacturer has expired, although the wire may outwardly look good; or
- After failing any tests.