Cargo tanks can be provided with the following monitoring equipment:
- Gauging equipment which measures the level of product in the tank and provides the information to a remote display;
- One or two high level alarms, working independently of the gauging equipment, which trigger an alarm when the level of cargo in the tank nears the maximum capacity;
- Pressure sensors which measure the pressure above the cargo and provide a warning should pre-set over pressure or under pressure settings be exceeded;
- Temperature monitoring sensors which measure the temperature of the cargo at different levels in the tank and provide the information to a remote display; and
- Gas sensors (which are fitted on some tanks) automatically measure the oxygen content and the concentrations of selected gases within the space and provide the information to a remote display.