As per MARPOL 73/78, regulation 9
Discharge shall be prohibited when:
- The tanker is within a special area
- The tanker is less than 50 NM from the nearest land.
- The tanker is not proceeding en route.
- The instantaneous rate of discharge exceeds 30 liters per nautical mile.
- The total quantity discharged exceeds 1/15,000 of the total cargo the ship is carrying.
- The tanker does not have in operation an oil discharge monitoring and control system and a slop tank arrangement.
You may also know that –
Methods of prevention of pollution in Special Areas
The Special Areas are as follows: