Hold cleaning after discharging Cement
- To avoid cargo residues sticking inside the Holds after cleaned, a thorough cleaning is extremely necessary, more residues removed during dry cleaning, the easier will be chemical washing.
- Air blowing is the most effective means of dry cleaning, if the local regulation permits.
- If the air blowing is not allowed, sweeping can be carried out which will time consuming & less effective.
- After dry cleaning, the holds are to be chemically washed with Muriatic Acid/Hydrochloric Acid using designated cleaning kit.
- The Chemicals must be applied starting at the hatch coaming and must be on the surface for 15-30 minutes to allow maximum efficiency but not to dry out.
- When working with chemical all personnel involved must wear full “Personal Protective Equipment”.
- After Chemical washing the holds are to washed with Sea Water and rinsed with Fresh Water (depending on the next cargo).
- The Chief Officer should avoid vessels normal bilge pumping for empting holds during cleaning cement residue. A submersible pump should be used to avoid clogging of permanent bilge piping system.
After discharging Cement Clinker, the cleaning procedure will depend on the next Cargo. If the loading “Grain” then the tank tops/upper & lower hopper spaces must be thoroughly swept before washing with chemical, washed with sea water and finally rinsed with Fresh Water.