- All ice is dangerous to navigation and should be reported to Master immediately on sighting.
- The OOW should alter the course away from the immediate danger in accordance with SI No.534.
Subsequent actions by OOW
- Plot the position of the Ice, observe and note description.
- Estimate size of the ice cake.
- Take care when position fixing with fast ice.
- Avoid totally if possible – unlike brash ice.
- Enter a statement into the logbook with time and dates.
- Engine room on immediate standby, if not already on this position.
- Post extra lookouts and brief them regarding ice sightings and recognition.
- Revert to manual steering.
- Obtain latest Ice reports and compare with chart limits.
- Reduce speed and approach with extreme caution, if unavoidable.
- Keep Master informed of the progress.
You may also know :
Obligatory reports are required from masters of ships which encounter dangerous ice on route.