When a vessel is not under command due to trouble/ Failure with the Main engine, the Officer of the Watch shall immediately take the following measures:
- Alerting other vessels nearby (By means of lights for ‘Not Under Command,’ )
- Transmit SAFETY message on VHF, So that vessel in vicinity will keep clear.
- Reporting to the Master and Chief Engineer.
- When the vessel is still capable of sailing ( or has steerage), move to a safe place first.
- Use the rudder and bow thruster to best navigational advantage. Then, anchor or drift around for repairs.
- Confirming the vessel Position
- Estimating the Drifting Direction and Speed.