Ship are classified to ensure:
- Design is to a recognised standard.
- Construction is to a recognised standard.
- Maintenance during its life is to a recognised standard.
- Value for money.
- Favorable insurance rates
- Acceptable Charter arrangements.
And….in conjunction with proper care and conduct on the part of the ship owner and operators, will provide for:
- the structural strength of (and where necessary the watertight integrity of) all essential parts of the hull and its appendages,
- the safety and reliability of the propulsion and steering systems, and those other features and auxiliary systems which have been built into the ship in order to establish and maintain basic conditions on board,