A Liferaft is also one of other thing for survival, and a life saving appliances. As solas required of chapter lll of the 1974 convention. And 1983 amendments contains a mandatory training is required.
The location of life raft is in
- The port and starboard of 1st deck of the ship, and
- one in the forward
Lowering procedure :
- Take off the safety chain
- Unfasten the slip hook and the painter must be fasten on board
- Madefast the painter to the ship
- Raft is removed from cradle and thrown overboard
- When the liferaft is in the water give a sharp pull and raft will inflate, once on board cut the painter to free the raft.
- If the raft inflate upside down standup at on cylinder hull at the cord facing the wind
The liferaft is fiited with a hydrostatic release mechanism. That in case did not release manually it will automatically free and inflate the raft when the ships sinks.(2 to 5m).