One or more of the following principal methods may be used to secure timber deck cargoes, by themselves or in combination with each other:
- Different types of lashing arrangements;
- Bottom blocking of the base tier in combination with lashing arrangements;
- Blocking over the full height of the cargo by, e.g. uprights alternatively complemented by lashing arrangements;
- Frictional securing, taking into account scientific research and appropriate weather and voyage criteria; and
- Other practical securing enhancement, (taking into account appropriate weather and voyage criteria), such as:
- Non slip paints on hatch covers;
- Liberal use of dunnage in the stow to shore and bridge gaps;
- Double lashing in exposed areas; and
- Consideration given to the use of locking tiers.
Different lashing arrangements are
- Chain lashings;
- Wire lashings; and
- Fabricated web lashings.