- Switch on the radar set and get a picture.
- Change over to the range scale specified by the manufacturer (usually the 1.5M range scale).
- See that the PL selector switch is in the ‘short pulse’
- Set the clutter suppression and differentiator controls to minimum or off positions.
- Set gain as usual.
- Operate spring loaded “performance monitor” switch and a feather or a cartwheel – pattern will appear on the screen.
- Measure off the maximum length of the feather (or the maximum radius of the cartwheel) with the help of the VRM. Any error of the VRM must be allowed for.
- Relative efficiency % = (present length of feather/ maximum length in the past result) * 100
Results below 80 % is unreliable,
Efficiency (%) = (Present length of plume/maximum length in as per manufacturer) x 100
The length of the plume is usually measured on the 1.5M range scale, unless otherwise indicated by the manufacturer, using the variable range marker.
- What is radar and its principle in detail?
- What factors affect maximum range of RADAR?
- What are unwanted echoes and signals appear on Radar screen?
- What are errors of/in Radar ?
- Where Radar antenna be placed / kept onboard?
- Why S-band radar is suitable for long range detection than X – band radar?
- How Radar is set up for operation /What are method of setting up a Radar?
- How to check/calculate efficiency of Radar?
- What are controls of RADAR?
- What are IMO Performance Standard for RADAR?