Appropriate crew members on board should be trained in the use of the following fire-fighting appliances:
- All types of portable fire extinguishers carried on board;
- Self-contained breathing apparatus;
- Hoses with jet and spray nozzles;
- Any fixed fire-fighting system such as foam or carbon dioxide;
- Fire blankets; and
- Firemen’s outfits
- When possible, fire drills should be held in port as well as at sea.
- It is important that the symbols used on a ship’s fire control plan are understood by ship personnel or crew . Graphic symbols should be used as much as possible.