Pitot Log is a type of Speed Log which is used to measure the speed of a ship.
Features of Pitot Speed Log:
- Pitot log works on sensing of pressure difference.
- Has retractable tube which has two pipes, one of these is facing forward (the dynamic tube) the other is facing down (the static tube).
- When there is no movement across the tubes, pressure exerted on both tubes will be the same. (when relative speed of water is ZERO).
- When there is movement of water across the face of the tubes, the pressure in the dynamic tube will be greater than in the static tube.
- This difference is converted into an EMF and shown on the speed indicator.
- Greater the speed of water, greater the pressure difference, greater emf, greater the displayed speed.