Parallel sweep search (PS):
- Used to search a large area when survivor location is uncertain.
- Most effective over water or flat terrian.
- Usually used when a large search area must be divided into sub areas for assignment to individual search facilities on scene at the same time.
- The commence search point is in one corner of the sub area, one half track space inside the rectangle from each of the two sides forming the corner.
- Search legs are parallel to each other and to the long sides of the sub area.
- Multiple vessels may be used for
- parallel sweep by 2,3,4 and 5 or more ships.