A harmonized system of survey and certification covering international shipping regulations adopted by the International Maritime Organization enters into force on 3 February 2000, in order to alleviate the problems caused by survey dates and intervals between surveys which do not coincide, covering international shipping regulations including the codes and conventions.
The system covers survey and certification requirements of
- The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), 1974,
- The International Convention on Load Lines, (LL) 1966 and the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, 1973, as modified by the Protocol of 1978 relating thereto (MARPOL 73/78),
- The International Code for the Construction and Equipment of Ships Carrying Dangerous Chemicals in Bulk (IBC Code),
- Code for the Construction and Equipment of Ships Carrying Dangerous Chemicals in Bulk (BCH Code)
- Code for the Construction and Equipment of Ships Carrying Liquefied Gases in Bulk (IGC Code).
All these instruments require the issuing of certificates to show that requirements have been met and this has to be done by means of a survey which can involve the ship being out of service for several days. The harmonized system will alleviate the problems caused by survey dates and intervals between surveys which do not coincide, so that a ship should no longer have to go into port or repair yard for a survey required by one convention shortly after doing the same thing in connection with another instrument.
Purpose of HSSC:-
Surveys, made in accordance with the harmonised survey system for ships, to harmonize intervals between surveys of all legitimate certificates issued to all marine vessels.
The harmonized system is presumed to facilitate all the troubles of periods between surveys so that any ship would not have to worry about going into the process of a survey schedule required by one convention right after having gone through the same thing concerned in connection with another instrument.
The harmonized system provides for: