Immersion suit is a protective suit which reduces the body heat loss of a person wearing it in cold water.
- With Lifejacket
- Without Lifejacket
- Non- insulated
Non Flammable and water proof material such that it shall not sustain burning or continues melting after being totally enveloped in a fire for a period of 2 sec.
Internationally RED in colour, highly visible.
The immersion suit shall be so constructed such that:
- it can be unpacked and donned without assistance within 2 min, taking into account any associated clothing, and a lifejacket if the immersion suit is to be worn in conjunction with a lifejacket;
- it will cover the whole body with the exception of the face. Hands shall also be covered unless permanently attached gloves are provided;
- it is provided with arrangements to minimize or reduce free air in the legs of the suit;
- It allows to climb up and down a vertical ladder at least 5 m in length;
- It allows to perform normal duties associated with abandonment;
- It allows to jump from a height of not less than 4.5 m into the water without damaging or dislodging the immersion suit, or being injured;
- It allows to swim a short distance through the water and board a survival craft.
An immersion suit made of material which has no inherent insulation shall be (in addition to the general requirements) :