The advantages of vector charts are as follows:
- Chart information is in layers which allows selective display of data.
- The display may be customized to suit the user.
- Chart data is seamless.
- It is possible to zoom-in without distorting the displayed data.
- Charted objects may be interrogated to give information to the user.
- Indications and alarms can be given when a hazardous situation, such as crossing a safety contour, occurs.
- Objects may be shown using different symbols to those used on paper or raster charts.
- Chart data may be shared with other equipment such as radar and ARPA.
- Unless data content is the same, less memory is required to store data compared to a raster chart.