In order to achieve its objectives, this Code embodies a number of functional requirements. These include, but are not limited to:
- Gathering and assessing information with respect to security threats and exchanging such information with appropriate Contracting Governments.
- Requiring the maintenance of communication protocols forships and port facilities;
- Preventing unauthorized access to ships, port facilities and their restricted areas;
- Preventing the introduction of unauthorized weapons, incendiary devices or explosives to ships or port facilities;
- Providing means for raising the alarm in reaction to securitythreats or security incidents;
- Requiring ship and port facility security plans based uponsecurity assessments; and
- Requiring training, drills and exercises to ensure familiarity with security plans and procedures.