Type : 1) Inflatable 2) Rigid
An adult life-jacket shall be so constructed that:
- Inherently buoyant material which shall not sustain burning or continue melting after being totally enveloped in a fire for a period of 2 seconds.
- at least 75% of persons, who are completely unfamiliar with the lifejacket, can correctly don it within a period of one min without assistance, guidance or prior demonstration;
- after demonstration, all persons can correctly don it within a period of one minute without assistance;
- it is comfortable to wear & clearly capable of being worn in only one way
- allows the wearer to jump from a height of at least 4.5 m into the water without injury and without dislodging or damaging the lifejacket.
BUOYANCY & STABILITY :
- shall have buoyancy which is not reduced by more than 5% after 24h submersion in fresh water
- lift the mouth of an exhausted or unconscious person not less than 120 mm clear of the water with the body inclined backwards at an angle of not less than 20° from the vertical position;
- turn the body of an unconscious person in the water from any position to one where the mouth is clear of the water in not more than 5 s.
- shall allow the person wearing it to swim a short distance and to board a survival craft.