Co2 is only released when fire is out of control.
Action before releasing of co2
- Seal engine room.
- All ventilation to be closed.
- fuels and boiler within engine room to be shut down.
- Evacuate and seal the engine room. Head count.
- Check out the amount of CO2 required to be injected as per the planned injection information (found in CO2 room and remote station).
- Open fire cabinet door causing alarm to activate.
- Operate fire handle mechanism to fire the pilot bottles, which fires the bank of bottles in the engine room. Ensure hold valves are closed.
Operational procedure for releasing co2
- Evacuate all personnel
- Batten down and seal ventilation
- Stop all fans, fuel supply and boilers
- Sound audible and visual alarm
Limitation Of Co2 System
- Once used no replenishment at sea
- Isolation necessary (asphyxiation)
- No inspection to observe results
Planned Injection Information CO2
- CO2 arrangement plan.
- Procedure of firing.
- Number of bottles designated for each place protected.
- Number of non return valves.
Action After Releasing CO2
- Always advisable to wait before carrying out an investigation.
- Maintain boundary cooling and observe temperature at various levels.
- Once a distinct fall in temperature has been observed an internal inspection and assessment may be carried out.
- Breathing apparatus to be donned when entering the space. Checks on breathing apparatus, 2/E and oiler to enter.
- Inspection to be carried out with spray fire fighting equipment, safety line and communication checked prior to entry.
- Once it has been confirmed that fire has been brought under control an additional assessment by chief engineer.
- When both opinions agreed upon damage control party to be sent in for cooling down work. Learn CO2 arrangement system diagram, has been asked before.
CO2 Three Way Valve:
- Samples of smoke pass through a three way valve to the smoke detector system.
- This valve is shut but sample passes into the smoke detector.
- Once it is confirmed that there is fire open the valve.
- Smothering gas or CO2 can be injected into the hold via the valve.
Emergency Stop Valve
- This is usually of quick closing type. It fitted between the settling tank and the cold filters.
- This valve has an extended spindle or of remote control type to the deck to enable the oil to be shut off in the case of a fire out break.