In order to eliminate heeling moments in partly filled compartments, strapping or lashing is utilized, the securing shall be accomplished as follows:
- The grain shall be trimmed and levelled to the extent that it is very slightly crowned and covered with burlap separation cloths, tarpaulins or the equivalent.
- The separation cloths and/or tarpaulins shall overlap by at least 1.8 m.
- Two solid floors of rough 25 mm x 150 mm to 300 mm lumber shall be laid with the top floor running longitudinally and nailed to an athwart ships bottom floor. Alternatively, one solid floor of 50 mm lumber, running longitudinally and nailed over the top of a 50 mm bottom bearer not less than 150 mm wide, may be used. The bottom bearers shall extend the full breadth of the compartment and shall be spaced not more than 2.4 m apart. Arrangements utilizing other materials and deemed by the Administration to be equivalent to the foregoing may be accepted.
- Steel wire rope (19 mm diameter or equivalent), double steel strapping (50mm x 1.3 mm and having a breaking load of at least 49 kN), or chain of equivalent strength, each of which shall be set tightly by means of a 32 mm turnbuckle, may be used for lashings. A winch tightener, used in conjunction with a locking arm, may be substituted for the 32 mm turnbuckle when steel strapping is used, provided suitable wrenches are available for setting up as necessary. When steel strapping is used, not less than three crimp seals shall be used for securing the ends. When wire is used, not less than four clips shall be used for forming eyes in the lashings.
- Prior to the completion of loading the lashing shall be positively attached to the framing at a point approximately 450 mm below the anticipated final grain surface by means of either a 25 mm shackle or beam clamp of equivalent strength.
- The lashings shall be spaced not more than 2.4 m apart and each shall be supported by a bearer nailed over the top of the fore and aft floor. This bearer shall consist of lumber of not less than 25 mm x 150 mm or its equivalent and shall extend the full breadth of the compartment.
- During the voyage the strapping shall be regularly inspected and set up where necessary.
Securing with wire mesh
When, in order to eliminate grain heeling moments in partly filled compartments, strapping or lashing is utilized, the securing may, as an alternative to the method described in grain code,be accomplished as follows: