The ship security alert system, when activated, shall:
- Initiate and transmit a ship-to-shore security alert to a competent authority designated by the Administration, which in these circumstances may include the Company, identifying the ship, its location and indicating that the security of the ship is under threat or it has been compromised;
- Not send the ship security alert to any other ships;
- Not raise any alarm on board the ship; and
- Continue the ship security alert until deactivated and/or reset.
The ship security alert system shall:
- Be capable of being activated from the navigation bridge and in at least one other location; and
- Conform to performance standards not inferior to those adopted by the Organization.
- The ship security alert system activation points shall be designed so as to prevent the inadvertent initiation of the ship security alert.
- The requirement for a ship security alert system may be complied with by using the radio installation fitted for compliance with the requirements of chapter IV, provided all requirements of this regulation are complied with.
- When an Administration receives notification of a ship security alert, that Administration shall immediately notify the State(s) in the vicinity of which the ship is presently operating.
- When a Contracting Government receives notification of a ship security alert from a ship which is not entitled to fly its flag, that Contracting Government shall immediately notify the relevant Administration and, if appropriate, the State(s) in the vicinity of which the ship is presently operating.