Magneto-Striction is an effect which occurs in all ferromagnetic material, but particularly pronounced in iron, nickel and cobalt.
- These items when placed in a magnetic field change their length.
- Conversely, when subjected to physical stress they generate an emf.
- When alternating current is used to create a magnetic flux, the transducer will vibrate producing a sound pulse.
- Sighting of the Transducer
- Away from noise sources and areas of turbulence like the propeller and discharges.
- Away from aeration which is caused due to bubbles generated by the bow wave or irregularities on the hull, log tubes and discharge orifices.