SOLAS requirements for fire detector onboard:
- Operated by heat, smoke, flame or any combination.
- Smoke detectors – stairways, corridors and escape routes in the accommodation.
- Smoke detectors to activate when smoke density exceeds 12.5% obscuration per m.
- Heat detectors to activate at 78deg but not until 54deg is the temperature rises at a rate less than 1deg per min.
- Avoid placing near beams and ventilation ducts.
- Max distance between 2 smoke is 11m.
- Max distance between 2 heat is 9m.
Image of smoke detector and heat detector