No lifeboat shall be approved to carry more than 150 person (LSA CODE, CHAPTER 3, REG 4.4.2)
According to LSA Code, Chapter 3, Reg. 188.8.131.52
Each lifeboat shall be provided with a certificate of approval, endorsed by the administration containing atleast following items:
- no. of persons approved to carry
- Manufacturer’s name and address
- Lifeboat Model & serial number.
- Month and year of manufacture
The certifying organization shall provide the lifeboat with a certificate of approval which, in addition to the above items, specifies:
- number of the certificate of approval;
- material of hull construction, in such detail as to ensure that compatibility problems in repair should not occur;
- total mass fully equipped and fully manned;
- statement of approval.
Moreover, the size, number and the capacity of the lifeboat for a merchant vessel is decided by the type of the ship and maximum number of ship’s crew.