Master’s Responsibility and Authority are mentioned below :
The company should clearly define and document the master’s responsibility with regard to:
- Implementing the safety and environmental protection policy of the Company;
- Motivating the crew in the observation of that policy;
- Issuing appropriate orders and instructions in a clear and simple manner;
- Verifying that specified requirements are observed; and
- Reviewing the SMS and reporting its deficiencies to the shore based management.
- The Company should ensure that he SMS operating on board the ship contains a clear statement emphasizing the Master’s authority. The Company should establish in the SMS that the master has the overriding authority and the responsibility to make decisions with respect to safety and pollution prevention and to request the Company’s assistance as may be necessary.