International Safety Management (ISM) Code means the International Management Code for the Safe Operation of Ships and for Pollution Prevention as adopted by the Assembly, as may be amended by the Organization.
What is Structure of ISM code?
- Definitions of various terms used in the code.
- Part A talks about the implementation of the code.
- Part B talks about the certification and verification.
- There is an appendix which gives out the forms for DOC, SMC, and Interim DOC and SMC.
What is Objectives of ISM code ?
- Ensure safety at sea.
- Prevention of human injury or loss of life.
- Avoidance of damage to the environment, in particular to the marine environment and property.
What are List of certificates issued under ISM CODE?
Document of Compliance (DOC).
Issued to every company which complies with the requirements of the ISM code. It is issued by the administration. A copy of the DOC is to be carried onboard. This certificate does not need to be authenticated or certified.
Validity is subject to annual verification within 3 months before or after the anniversary date.
DOC can be withdrawn if an annual review is not requested by the company or if there are major non-conformities.
All SMC and interims will be withdrawn as well if DOC is withdrawn.
Safety Management Certificate (SMC).
Shall be issued to every ship by the administration. The administration should check that the company and its shipboard management operate in accordance with the approved safety management before issuing.
SMC is issued for a period not exceeding 5yrs.
Validity of SMC is subject to atleast one intermediate verification. If there is only one intermediate verification carried out, then it should be between the 2nd and 3rd anniversaries.SMC can be withdrawn if an annual review is not requested by the company or if there are major non-conformities.If the renewal verification of a DOC or SMC is carried out 3 months before the expiry, the renewal date of the new DOC or SMC will be from the date of completion of the verification to 5yrs from the date of expiry of the existing.
If the renewal verification of a DOC or SMC is carried out more than 3months before the expiry, the renewal date of the new DOC or SMC will be from the date of completion of verification to 5yrs from the date of completion of the verification.
What is Interim Certification as per ISM code?
Interim DOC is issued to facilitate:
- When the company is newly established.
- New ship types are to be added to the existing DOC.
An interim DOC is issued for a period of 12 months. Within this timeframe the company has to bring all plans and procedures in full force onboard the new types of vessels. A copy of the interim DOC is to be carried onboard. This copy does not need to be authenticated or certified.
- What is ISM Code or International Management Code for the Safe Operation of Ships and for Pollution Prevention?
- What are content of ISM or International safety management code?
- What are List of certificates issued under ISM CODE ?
- What is Safety management audits as per ISM?
- What is Application for audit of document of compliance as per ISM?
- What is Renewal verification of safety management certificate or SMC as per ISM?
- What is Top of Form the certification process for ISM?
- What is initial verification of certificate as per ISM?
- What are audits carried out under ISM?
- What is duty of Designated persons onboard as per ISM code?
- What is Responsibility of Designated Person or DPA) as per ISM?