Course recorder is navigational equipment for automatically recording the course of vessel over period of time. The record is done on continuous paper belt. The recorder is operated from a gyro compass or a remote magnetic compass.
Features of course recorder are as follow.
- No lubrication required on account of simple mechanism.
- Every watch the officer is to check whether the correct course is being recorded & pens are full of ink.
- Course recorder clock always to be set on GMT.
- To be switched off in port.
- Date, time & place important. Start up should be noted.
- Should not run out of paper.