Types of Anti Heeling System
There are two widely used anti heeling system on board ships:
- Pneumatic system: This system comprises of air purging arrangement and regulating valve system to force the air on the top of ballast tank. The air is forced on one tank and purged from the other, making the water rapidly flow from pressurised to purged tank. This transfer of water is used to upright the vessel in quick time.
- Water pump system: The pump system consists of electrical motor driven water pump, which can be a reversible or non reversible pump, connected with remote controlled valves that can direct ballast water flow in between the tanks.
Advantages of Anti Heeling System:
- Allows safer and rapid cargo loading and unloading.
- Shortens harbour time and saves port dues.
- Reduces damage to ramp, rolling cargo and containers.
- Ensures safety of the ship and personals.