Rocket parachute ( 12 pieces on bridge, 4 pieces in each lifeboat and liferaft)
According to Chapter III Visual Signals, 3.1 Rocket Parachute Flares of the LSA Code
The rocket parachute flare shall:
- be contained in a water-resistant casing;
- have brief instructions or diagrams clearly illustrating the use of the rocket parachute flare printed on its casing;
- have integral means of ignition;
- be so designed as not to cause discomfort to the person holding the casing
- When used in accordance with the manufacturer’s operating instructions.
- The rocket shall, when fired vertically, reach an altitude of not less than 300m.
- At or near the top of its trajectory, the rocket shall eject a parachute flare, which shall burn with a bright RED color;
- burn uniformly with an average luminous intensity of not less than 30,000 cd;
- have a burning period of not less than 40 s;
- have a rate of descent of not more than 5 m/s;
- not damage its parachute or attachments while burning.
- Expires in 3 years from date of manufacture.