Immersion suit is a protective suit which reduces the body heat loss of a person wearing it in cold water.
- With Lifejacket
- Without Lifejacket
- Non- insulated
Non Flammable and water proof material such that it shall not sustain burning or continues melting after being totally enveloped in a fire for a period of 2 sec.
Internationally RED in colour, highly visible.
The immersion suit shall be so constructed such that:
- it can be unpacked and donned without assistance within 2 min, taking into account any associated clothing, and a lifejacket if the immersion suit is to be worn in conjunction with a lifejacket;
- it will cover the whole body with the exception of the face. Hands shall also be covered unless permanently attached gloves are provided;
- it is provided with arrangements to minimize or reduce free air in the legs of the suit;
- It allows to climb up and down a vertical ladder at least 5 m in length;
- It allows to perform normal duties associated with abandonment;
- It allows to jump from a height of not less than 4.5 m into the water without damaging or dislodging the immersion suit, or being injured;
- It allows to swim a short distance through the water and board a survival craft.
An immersion suit made of material which has no inherent insulation shall be (in addition to the general requirements) :
- marked with instructions that it must be worn in conjunction with warm clothing;
- so constructed that, when worn in conjunction with warm clothing, it gives thermal protection such that, the wearer’s body core temperature does not fall more than 2°C for a period of 1h in calm circulating water at a temperature of 5°C.
An immersion suit made of material with inherent insulation Shall (in addition to the general requirements):
- ensure that the wearer’s body core temperature does not fall more than 2°C after a period of 6h immersion in calm circulating water at a temperature of between 0°C and 2°C.
An immersion suit which also complies with the requirements of life-jackets may be classified as a life-jacket. It shall be fitted with a light and the whistle complying with the requirements for life-jackets.
If the immersion suit is to be worn in conjunction with a lifejacket, the lifejacket shall be worn over the immersion suit. A person wearing such an immersion suit shall be able to don a lifejacket without assistance.