The advantages of raster charts are as follows:
- They are exact copies of the paper charts with the same reliability and integrity.
- User familiarity since they use the same symbols and colours as paper charts.
- Wide availability of official raster charts. ARCS charts, for example, have near worldwide coverage.
- The user cannot inadvertently omit any navigational information from the display.
- Cost of production is less than their vector counterpart.
- By using vector overlays together with appropriate software, raster charts can be used for all standard navigational tasks normally undertaken using paper charts. They can also emulate some of the functions of an electronic display and information system (ECDIS).