Safety Management Responsibilities of Third Officer
|Reports to||:||Master for navigational watch keeping duties.|
|Chief Officer for deck watches keeping duties and maintenance duties.|
|Supervises||:||Junior operation level and support level functions|
|Responsibilities||:||His responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following.|
The safety management responsibilities of Third Officer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Familiarize himself with the procedures of safety management system and comply with same.
- To keep a navigational watch at sea and at anchor as per Master’s standing orders.
- To keep cargo watch in port as per directions of Chief Officer and as per applicable rules & regulations.
- To maintain all meteorological equipment and logs and ensure dispatch of weather reports from vessel on regular basis.
- To maintain in good order all flags, signaling equipment, regulation lights and shapes
- Conduct maintenance procedures for life saving and fire fighting equipment, cargo systems on board under direction of Chief Officer;
- Conduct inventory of LSA, FFA, cargo systems spares and stores maintained on board as directed;
- Conduct procedures and tests to ensure functional reliability of critical equipment and systems, as directed
- Compliance with the Company’s documented safety and security procedures.
- Carry out emergency duties as per emergency response procedures and as directed by command and control.
- Compliance with applicable port, terminal and dock safety regulations.
- Assist Chief Officer in day to day work with regard to ship’s operational routine duties and preparation of reports and returns as required
- To comply with applicable rules of STCW Convention.
- To prepare handing over notes along with handing over report while signing off the vessel.
- To acquaint himself and prepare for the rank above.
Has the authority to identify and report non-conformities and near misses/hazardous occurrences and as per procedures defined within this Safety Management System