Safety Management Responsibilities of Third Engineer Officer
|Reports to||:||2nd Engineer Officer.|
|Chief Engineer Officer when required.|
|Supervises||:||Junior Operation level & Support level functions|
|Responsibilities||:||The 3rd Engineer Officer is the second watch-keeping engineer on board and belongs to operation level.|
The safety management responsibilities of Third Engineer Officer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Familiarize himself with the procedures of safety management system and comply with same.
- Watch keeping duties at sea.
- Supervision of Engine room machinery while in use.
- Additionally on Tanker or a gas carrier supervise the Pump room and pumping machinery whilst on watch.
- Engine room watches in port during loading and unloading.
- Carry out repairs and maintenance as instructed by 2nd Engineer Officer in particular of the main engine, purifiers, emergency generator, life boat engine, emergency air compressor and all fixed fire extinguishers/fire fighting installations or any other work.
- To assist Chief Engineer Officer during bunkering.
- To assist 2nd Engineer Officer in his day to day work and in indenting stores/spare parts.
- Carry out maintenance for the machineries and equipments as per planned maintenance system as delegated by Chief Engineer Officer e.g. boiler, domestic fridge and maintain records of maintenance and repairs carried out, and inventory of stores and spares for such machineries and equipments.
- Compliance with the company’s documented safety and security procedures.
- Carry out emergency duties as per emergency response procedures and as directed by command and control.
- To maintain ship keeping duties in port (when required).
- To assist spill co-ordinator on the scene under SOPEP.
- To comply with applicable rules of STCW Convention.
- To assist 2nd Officer in the operation of the motor life boat during abandoning ship.
- To prepare handing over notes along with handing over report while signing off the vessel.
- To acquaint himself and prepaSre for the rank above.
Has the authority to identify and report non-conformities and near misses/hazardous occurrences and as per procedures defined within this Safety Management System.