Safety Management Responsibilities of Second Officer
|Reports to||:||The Master for all Navigational Watchkeeping duties.|
|Chief Officer for all Deck Watchkeeping and Maintenance work.|
|Supervises||:||Junior operation level and support level functions|
|Responsibilities||:||The 2nd Officer is an executive officer designated as the “Navigating Officer” and belongs to operational level of the vessel.|
The safety management responsibilities of Second Officer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Familiarize himself with the procedures of safety management system and comply with same.
- Prepare a passage plan for the intended voyage under the directions of Master
- All navigational equipment on the vessel to be kept in good order and regularly serviced and maintained. Indenting and safe keeping of required spares for the navigational equipment on board.
- All navigational charts and hydrographic publications for the intended voyage to be fully corrected up to date from the current Notices to Mariners, navigational warnings and other sources.
- A noon position to be fixed on the chart daily at sea and a Noon chit to be submitted to the Master.
- An abstract of navigational logs to be maintained preparing reports and returns as per company’s procedure.
- To keep a navigational watch at sea and at anchor
- Keep a cargo watch in port as per directions of the Chief Officer and applicable rules and regulations.
- Assist Chief Officer in preparing vessel for classification and statutory surveys and ship’s operational routine duties and day to day work.
- To act as a Medical Officer (in ships without doctors) and treat the ship’s crew under the directions of the Master, and upkeep of Medical Locker.
- To act as a Mail Officer on passenger ships and supervise the loading and discharging of mail.
- Compliance with applicable port, terminal and dock safety regulations.
- Assistant to spill co-ordinator (Chief Officer) on the scene as per SOPEP.
- Compliance with the Company’s documented safety and security procedures.
- Carry out emergency duties as per emergency response procedures and as directed by command and control.
- Incharge of a life-boat during rescue operations and while abandoning ship.
- To comply with applicable rules of STCW Convention.
- To prepare handing over notes along with report while signing off the vessel.
- To acquaint himself and prepare for the rank above.
Has the authority to identify and report non-conformities and near misses/hazardous occurrences and as per procedures defined within this Safety Management System.