As per MARPOL 73/78 ,
Regulation 13A: Segregated Ballast Tanks
- Every tanker of 20,000t deadweight and above shall be provided with segregated ballast tanks.
- In no case shall ballast be carried in cargo tanks unless:
- On rare voyages where weather conditions are so severe the master decides to do so for the safety of the ship
- In exceptional cases where the particular charter of the ship requires it to carry more ballast than usually required.
- Every tanker of 20,000t deadweight and above shall be equipped with a suitable crude oil washing system.
You may also know –
Regulation 13B: Dedicated clean ballast tanks
- An oil tanker operating with dedicated clean ballast tanks shall have adequate tank capacity, dedicated solely to the carriage of clean ballast.
- Any oil tanker equipped with dedicated clean ballast tanks shall also be equipped with an oil content meter, subject to approval by the Administration.
- Every oil tanker operating with dedicated clean ballast tanks shall also be provided with as Dedicated Clean Ballast Tank Operation Manual, detailing system and operational procedures.