As per MARPOL, regulations 4
- Disposal of any materials regulated by this Annex is prohibited from fixed or floating platforms and from all ships within 500m of such platforms
- Disposal of food waste that has been through a comminuter is permitted from fixed and floating platforms and all ships within 500m of these platforms, provided it is located more than 12 nautical miles from land.
- The disposal into the sea of all plastics
- Dunnage, lining and floating packing materials if distance from nearest land is less than 25 nautical miles
- Food wastes and all other garbage is distance from nearest land is less than 12 nautical miles
- Disposal of waste that has been through a comminuter if distance is less than 3 nautical miles.
- Disposal of all plastics, paper products, rags, glass, metal, bottles, crockery, dunnage, lining and packing materials are prohibited in:
- The Mediterranean Sea
- The Baltic Sea
- The Black Sea
- The Red Sea
- The Suez Canal
- The Gulfs Area
- The North Sea Area
- The Antarctic Area
- The Wider Caribbean Region.