Spare Charges, Additional Fire Extinguishers, and Refilling of Extinguishers:
- For fire extinguishers of the same type, capable of being recharged on board, the spare charges should be provided as follows:
- 100% for the first 10 extinguishers and 50% for the remaining extinguishers but not more than 60 (fractions to be rounded off to next whole number).
- For extinguishers which cannot be recharged by the crew, additional portable fire extinguishers of the same quantity, type, capacity and number as determined in paragraph a above should be provided in lieu of spare charges.
- Instructions for recharging the extinguishers should be carried on board. Periodic refilling of the cylinders should be in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Lacking same, refill is required when the extinguishing media starts to lose effectiveness. Partially emptied extinguishers should also be recharged. Only refills approved for the fire extinguisher in question may be used for recharging.
You may also know about hydrostatic test :
Portable fire extinguishers shall be hydrostatically tested as follows:
- Dry Powder Extinguishers every 10 years;
- CO2 Extinguishers every 10 years;
- Other Extinguishers every 10 years.
A hydrostatic test may also be required by the classification society surveyor or Liberian Nautical Inspector if visual examination indicates a potential defect in the cylinder. The hydrostatic test date must be permanently marked on the bottles.