Every ship shall be provided with appliances capable of injecting rapidly and simultaneously at least two jests of water not emanating from the same hydrant at least one of which shall be from a single length of hose reaching any part of banker of machinery spaces normally accessible to crew when all water-tight doors in the main vertical zone bulk heads are closed.
Machinery Spaces of Category-A:
Every ship with machinery space of category-A.
(1) Shall be provided in such spaces:-
- at least two fire hydrants, one on the port side and the other on the starboard side for each such hydrants, one fire hose complete with a nozzle and one spare fire hose complete with nozzle ;
- at least one of the following fixed fire extinguishing installations, namely:-
- a fixed pressure water spraying system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS,
- a fixed gas fire extinguishing system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS,
- a fixed high expansion foam system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS.
For the purpose of this rule, if the engine and boiler rooms are not entirely separagraphted from each other by a bulkhead and if fuel oil can draw from the boiler room into the engine room, the combined engine and boiler rooms shall be considered as one single machinery space.
In addition to the requirements of above section there shall be provided :-
(a) In each boiled room-
- not less than one foam type fire extinguisher of at least 135 litres capacity or CO2 fire extinguisher of at least 45 Killogram capacity, as may be necessary having regard to the size of the boiler room placed in such positions so as to be readily accessible in the event of fire and shall be provided with hoses on reels suitable for reaching any part of the boiler room and spaces containing any part of the oil fuel installation;
- one portable foam applicator complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS
(b) in each firing space in each boiler room and in each space containing any part of any oil fuel installation, at least two portable fire extinguishers suitable for extinguishing oil fires;
(c) in each firing space a receptacle containing at least 0.3 cubic metre of sand, saw dust impregnated with soda or other dry material suitable for quenching oil fire in sufficient quantity together with scoops for its distribution or in the alternative additional portable fire extinguisher suitable for extinguishing oil fires.
(3) In addition to the requirements of above paragraphgraph there shall be provided in any space containing internal combustion type machinery:-
- Not less than one foam fire extinguishers of 45 litres or carbon dioxide extinguishers of at least 15 Kilograms capacity. The extinguishers shall be sited so as to be readily accessible in the event of fire and they shall be sufficient in number to enable foam or CO2 to be directed into any part of the fuel and lubricating oil pressure systems, gearing and other areas of high fire risk.
- Not less than set of portable foam applicator unit complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS .
- Not less than two portable fire extinguishers suitable for extinguishing oil fires, to ensure that at least one extinguisher is not more than 10 metres distance from any position within the space.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MACHINERY SPACES:
In every ship :-
- in any machinery space of category-A, to which access is provided at a low level from an adjacent shaft tunnel there shall be provided in the shaft tunnel, on the side remote from that machinery space, a light steel screen-door which shall be capable of being operated from each side in addition to any water-tight door,
- there shall be provided:-
- in each special category space a power ventilation system sufficient to give at least 10 air changes per hour;
- in each cargo space other than special category spaces, intended for the carriage of motor vehicles with fuel in their tanks for their own propulsion, power ventilation system sufficient to give at least 10 air changes per hour for ship carrying more than 36 passengers and 6 air changes per hour for ships carrying less than 36 passengers ;
(3) the power ventilation system referred to in sub-rule (2) shall be entirely separagraphte from other ventilation systems and shall be operated at all times when vehicles are in such spaces. Ventilation ducts serving such spaces capable of being effectively sealed shall be separagraphted for each such space.
The system shall be capable of being controlled from a position outside such spaces. In addition :-
- The ventilation system shall be such as to prevent air stratification and the formation of air pockets;
- An indicator to indicate on the navigating bridge any loss or reduction of the required ventilating capacity shall be provided;
- Arrangements shall be provided to permit a rapid shut-down and effective closure of the ventilation system in case of fire, taking into account the weather and sea conditions: