Every ship shall comply with the following, namely :
- An efficient fire patrol shall be maintained in ships carrying more than 36 passengers so that an outbreak of fire may be promptly detected.
- Each member of the fire patrol shall be trained to be familiar with the arrangements of the ship as well as the location and operation of any equipment he may be called upon to use.
- Manually operated call points complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS shall be fitted throughout the accommodation spaces, service spaces and special category spaces, which will give an alarm immediately to the navigating bridge or fire control station. Such a manually operated call point shall be positioned adjacent to each exit from every special category space.
- In every special category space in which the fire patrol is not maintained by a continuous fire watch during the voyage, a fixed fire detection and fire alarm system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS shall be provided.
- In every part of the ship which is not reasonably accessible to the fire patrol and in every cargo space (other than special category spaces) containing motor vehicles having fuel in their tanks for their own propulsion, a fixed fire detection and fire alarm system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS VII or a sample extraction smoke detection system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS shall be provided. Provided that the Chief Surveyor with the Govt. of India may, if he is satisfied that compliance with the provisions of this clause would be unreasonable on account of the short duration of the voyages on which the ship, is engaged, exempt any ship from the said requirements in respect of any part of the ship which is not accessible to the fire patrol.
- In any machinery space where the main propulsion and associated machinery including sources of main electrical supply are provided with automatic or remote control under continuous manned supervision from a control room, there shall be provided a fixed fire detection and fire alarm system complying with the requirements specified in SOLAS .
- Be so manned and equipped as to ensure that any initial fire alarm is immediately received by a responsible member of the crew at all times when at sea, or in port (except when out of service).
- A special alarm, operated from the navigating bridge or fire control station, shall be fitted to summon the crew, which may be part of the ship’s general alarm system but shall be capable of being sounded independently of the alarm to the passenger spaces.
- A public address system or other effective means of communication shall be available throughout the accommodation space, the service space and control station.