If the emergency generator is arranged for automatic starting the generator and the services that would otherwise be supplied from the transitional source of emergency electrical power in compliance with the requirements , shall be automatically connected to the emergency switchboard so that such services will be supplied within 45 seconds of the failure of the main source of electrical power.
Any emergency generating set arranged to be automatically started shall-
- be equipped with a starting system having sufficient stored energy for six consecutive starts, and
- be provided with an additional source of stored energy independent of the starting system required and capable of producing a further six starts within 30 minutes, unless an alternative and independent starting system is provided or effective manual starting can be demonstrated.
Any emergency generator that is not arranges for automatic starting shall-
- be provided with starting arrangements in accordance with the requirements of sub-rule (4) except that the starting may be initiated manually, or
- be started manually by cranking inertia starters or manually charged hydraulic accumulators so that at least six starts can be accumulated within 30 minutes.
The emergency generator may be used to supply services other than emergency supplies in expectional cases for short periods if the independent operation of the emergency source of electrical power is safe-guarded in all circumstances
You may also know:
Starting arrangements for emergency generating sets-
- Emergency generating sets shall be capable of being readily started at a temperature of 0.C and if the temperature below 0.C are anticipated provision shall be made for hearing the engine so that it starts readily.
- The starting, charging and energy storing devices, which shall not be used for any purpose other than the operation of the emergency generating set, shall be located in the emergency generator space except that the air receiver of the emergency generator set may be supplied from the main or auxiliary compressed air system through a non-return valve located in the emergency generator space.